Friday 16 July 2021

Willys MB Jeep

 Last week I was away from the workshop and suffering modelling withdrawal symptoms,I bought an Airfix Starter Set of their 1:72 Willys MB Jeep. Little did I know that this would be the start of another little project! 


This 2014 retooled kit is great. 2 versions, and a hidden 3rd, to build in multiple setups was a kit I could not avoid buying 3 times! 


The first, and the subject of the box art, is the 6th Airborne Division’s Jeep from Normandy with cut down front bumper, cradle, trailer and 75mm Pack Howitzer. 


The second is the US Army’s 4th Division HQ Jeep from Belgium, 1944. This can be fitted with 2 machine gun types or raised hood. 


I went with the latter as I discovered I already had made the machine gun variant 10 plus years ago from the first Airfix edition, based on the Heller moulding and which came with 2 figures. Don’t know why Airfix left these out of the new kit. 

The third hidden kit is the SAS long range desert Jeep which although parts are included on the sprue in the form of British machine guns and a different bonnet there is - as yet - no released model nor instructions. I loaded the Jeep with spare Jerry cans from the other 2 kits and another pair of machine guns and mountings. Added a scratch built condenser to the front grill and think it makes for a quite good representation. It’s surprising that after 8 years, Airfix have yet to make use of these parts. Watch this space I guess!

----

The kit

Brand: Airfix
Title: Willys MB Jeep
Number: A02339
Scale: 1:72
Type: Full kit
Released: 2018 | Rebox (Changed box only)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....