Monday 12 July 2021

A-4 Skyhawk - Blue Angels

Continuing my scale modelling project on the subject of aerobatic display teams, I've today crossed the pond to the USA for something a little different. 


This build celebrates the 14 May 1983 when the Red Arrow Hawks performed over the US Navy Academy at Annapolis, Maryland where they met up with their Navy counterparts, the Blue Angels, flying A-4 Skyhawks. 


Pictured here are the Blue Angels leader #1 with Red 1 of the Red Arrows. Both built from Airfix kits, albeit the decals for the Blue Angels were an after market purchase of Cam Pro decals - not the best quality so will be a provider I’ll have to remember to avoid in future. 


On this NA tour they also met up with the USAF Thunderbirds flying the F-16 and the Canadian Snowbirds with their Canadair Tutors. Would love to build a model of the Tutor, but seeing old Hobby Craft kits currently going for around £60, I think I’ll skip that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....