Tuesday 21 March 2023

Spitfire TR.8

In July last year, I picked up a couple of AZ Spitfires at the North Somerset Scale Model Show. I quickly learned, after building the first, that AZ models are an acquired taste, so at least I knew what I was letting myself in for when I picked this rare Spitfire TR.8/9 out of my stash last week.

Rather than go for the 3 options in the box, I decided to finish this kit in the colours of IAC-163, one of 6 two seater Spitfires flown by the Irish Air Corps in the 1950s. 


Interestingly, when this Spitfire was ‘demobbed’ in 1968, it went on to appear in the film “The Battle of Britain”. Then after a spell in the US, it returned to the UK in 2019 to join three other 2 seater IAC Spitfires at ‘Fly a Spitfire’ based at Biggin Hill. 

I love a model’s backstory probably as much as building them

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....