Monday 14 June 2021

Folland Gnat - Yellowjack

The Yellowjacks were the Royal Air Force aerobatic display team which flew Folland Gnat trainers painted yellow. 

The team was formed informally in the summer of 1963 by a group of flying instructors, led by Flight Lieutenant Lee Jones, at No 4 Flying Training School at RAF Valley, whose call sign was "Yellowjack". 

Yellowjack parked up at the airfield

I would normally go out of my way to select decals to match the actual aircraft used, but in this instance, apart from using a larger set of wing roundels from my stash, as were used by the Yellowjacks, I used the Airfix RAF Valley decals supplied with the kit. 

The Airfix Folland Gnat with a different paint job 

I think, with hindsight, I overdid the panel lines, but it was all the ‘weathering’ I was going to do and I wanted to add some detail for the eye. 




-----------------

The model kit ...

Brand: Airfix
Title: Folland Gnat T.1
Number: A02105
Scale: 1:72
Released: 2018 | Rebox (Changed decals)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....