Tuesday 1 August 2023

Avro Vulcan B.2

 I’ve just finished building one of my largest 1:72 scale kits, the Airfix Vulcan B.2 bomber. 

Having already got a later low level camouflaged version in my collection, for this build I went for the 1962 Cold War Vulcan B.2 XM602 of No. 12 Sqn. RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire finished in Anti-Flash White and a Blue Steel nuclear missile!


Having built Airfix’s earlier 1983 version, I was expecting great things from this recent 2021 tooled kit. I found it however, very much over engineered and sadly less enjoyable to build than I remember the 80s’ kit to have been. 

The hours I spent on the beautifully designed cockpit were waisted as none of this can now be seen when closed within the fuselage and beneath the mostly covered canopy. 

 

Where most manufacturers have found a way of moulding exhaust jets in one piece this kit required at least 3 and the use of a jig! That said, from a pure engineering perspective, this is a visually attractive kit, I just think it’s another example of a designer not having a clue of how to design a deconstructed scale model!


Sadly, I lost Airfix’s beautifully crafted undercarriage and open crew hatch detail by going for a wheels up configuration. I have no space nor large enough display cabinet to show this model off in its wheels down configuration and so planned from the outset to have it displayed in flight from my office ceiling … its such a beautiful aircraft in flight and this finished kit, in my view, does not disappoint.


-----

The Model:

Make: Airfix
Model: Avro Vulcan B.2 
Scale: 1:72
Item code: A12011
Year of Release: 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....