Thursday 14 October 2021

Aston Martin DB5 - No Time To Die

I’ve made a number of these Airfix DB5 kits over the years and all have been a real disappointment. The kit is very basic and from original 1960s moulds, thus does not lend itself to producing a show room finish without considerable time and modelling skills, both of which I struggle with. Historically, I have also frustratingly been unable to avoid getting glue on the glass, something which this time, at least, I was determined to avoid!

After 18 months of intensive modelling, it’s hard not to improve one’s skills a little and this DB5 build is the first that I’ve been reasonably happy with. There was perhaps a bit more filling and sanding I could have done to hide the poor moulding, and my spraying, more suited to armoured fighting vehicles, would not will any concours prizes, but I avoided getting any glue on the glass!

 

The intent of this build was to recreate the DB5 seen in the 2021 James Bond film, “No Time To Die”, in which Bond drives for the 5th time since it was arrived on the scene for the “Gold Finger” film back in 1965. Bond’s DB5 goes through a number of subtle upgrades for each outing and on this occasion its Q Branch extras include bulletproof glass and Gatling guns behind the headlights. At the point in the film that Bond gets to deploy the guns, the DB5 has been involved in quite a destructive car chase in which both sides become very scratched. To recreate this look, I used chipping fluid. This was my first ever attempt at this weathering approach which worked quite well. To finish kit, I added a couple of Britains tractor drivers, reworked to look like James Bond and his female companion, and the guns were an aftermarket resin set for the F16 aircraft of the same scale. They are slightly larger than those used in the film, but fit perfectly in the space Airfix have provided to hold the lenses which will not be needed.

The final touch, as I intend to add it to my display at the forthcoming Yeovil Model Show, was to mount it on a wooden board, painted to reflect the iconic film poster.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....