Saturday 3 August 2024

Austin K2/Y Ambulance

Next up on the bench is an old favourite from a few years ago, with interest rekindled by Modelu’s release of the Flying Nightingale figures. 


This is the Airfix Austin K2/Y Ambulance for which Modelu printed me a special set of 1:35 figures. I’m so looking forward to seeing this completed.

Working on the wood floor and interior painting. 


I applied some chipping fluid to the cab floor  between the wood effect and top coat painting. 

Today I had a little fun chipping that top coat off to reveal a weathered bit of wood below. Probably won’t see much of this but I’ll know it’s there.

I’m loving this Airfix Austin K2Y Ambulance. 

I built one of these 2 years ago but as I completed it with the rear doors closed, I never looked to paint or fit the stretcher carriers and am now having so much fun building this bit up. I also never remember the PE around the roof vents, is this a new addition or did I skip this? 

I now have all the main bits sprayed up for the grand construction. If I can get away with a firm dry fit, I’m also thinking of leaving the roof un-glued so that I can pop it off to view the detailed interior which may just have a Flying Nightingale within.

Wheels and chassis joined with the body and I’ve lowered one of the beds as seen in photos kindly shared with me by a fellow modeller.  

Lowering that bed should allow me to install my Flying Nightingale Modelu figures which I’ve given a spot of paint to and am now trying them out for size. 

Decals on … oh my these Airfix transfers were so much more delicate than I remember they were last time.

I lost ‘Pat’ somewhere on the table, will probably find it stuck to my arm later and needed to dig into my spares for the medical badge which I somehow stuck in the wrong place and then it wouldn’t lift again.

It’s amazing how even after all these years and the thousands of decals I must have applied I can still have so many challenges.

Airfix 1:35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance finished as a vehicle from 30 Corps, Royal Army Service Corps, with a couple of Modelu British soldiers receiving treatment from the RAF Flying Nightingales following the 1944 D-Day landings. 

I’ve left the roof unglued to give better access to the inside view which I hope you agree works. Having been torn with how much weathering to do I feel I held back a bit too much and so I’m less pleased with the finish I attained than with the pure enjoyment I had in the build itself. 

Next up will be another of these Ambulances which I’m keen now to build as a North African campaign version as seen in that classic film “Ice Cold in Alex”

Two down, one to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....