Wednesday 16 February 2022

Sea King AEW Mk.2a

My Sea King AEW Mk.2a, as flown by 849 NAS aboard HMS Illustrious in 1988, is complete.

The AEW was developed during the 1982 Falklands War after deficiencies in airborne early warning cost the Task Force dearly.


This kit was released in 2010 using Airfix’s 1969 tooling, a far cry from the detail and quality of the 2015 retooled Sea Kings I’ve previously loved building. 

Currently this is the only Airfix kit with the radar attachment, which interestingly was provided on a separate sprue so I could have just used this on the later kit. However, once started, I just wanted to finish it as Airfix intended, it is after all a vintage classic even if not badged as such. It even had a hole for the old fashioned stand that I couldn’t resist using 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....