Thursday 18 February 2021

The Making of Port Stanley's Globe Hotel

In my last post, Victory in the Falklands, I introduced the fact that I had competed my first ever scratch built building, but did not have time to go into the detail. Well here are a few snaps of how it came together from bits and pieces of card and wood that I had lying around.

Surplus card from a hanger for the roof, wood from the Vietnamese village for walls and base,
and a bits of a packaging for the eves 

Windows cut, walls erected and porch constructed and wallpapered!

Mock Tudor styling added, door cut, chimney built and first draft of Globe Hotel sign made 

Corrugated roof weathered, walls painted, windows fitted and signage added.
WW2 British soldier dropped in to test out the door, which despite spending seemingly hours scaling it, still seems too large

A bit of weathering added to the building and
that WW2 soldier is still there reminding me that the door looks too large!

Final weathering, a sprinkling of snow and a troop of Paras added,
replacing that annoying chap from WW2

Filling the street with Scorpion and Scimitar tanks, a Landrover and fuel tanker behind, with an Argentine Panhard armoured car abandoned on the left.


Discarded kit, a telegraph pole, wire and the Argentine's temporary "Keep Right" sign
complete the diorama


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Ice Cold In Alex "Katy"

My third Airfix Austin K2 Ambulance build, I just love this kit. This one is inspired by the 1950s classic book and film “Ice Cold In Alex”....